Saturday, May 19, 2012

What's in the Fridge...Burong Hipon

Here's something bizarre enough for Andrew Zimmern to try...Burong Hipon. 


I remember staying far, far away from this as a child, as with anything fermented, the smell can be too much. A traditional Capampangan condiment of fermented rice with shrimp and tomatoes, the dish can be an assault to the senses, smelling worse than any stinky cheese. 




But eventually, one succumbs to this unusual condiment. Hesitant at first, what follows is a culinary treat like no other.


My aunt made a batch the other week, and after opening the jar, turn on all the fans and blowers. Seriously.


The salty, sour flavor goes well with steamed vegetables and fried catfish (or any fried fish).  Definitely an acquired taste, this regional specialty from Pampanga and parts of Northern Luzon is unique and a distinct part of the region's culinary culture. Definitely different, but worth a try at least once.

Dude for Food is now on Facebook, check out the FB Page for regular updates on good eats. Better yet, click "Like" and enjoy the ride...just look for the FB "Like" widget on the right sidebar. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that Andrew Zimmern would love it! it doesn't look bad but by the things you say I can imagine how it smells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi beti, definitely an acquired taste, and being fermented, it has a strong smell that can scare you. But once you get used to it, it's refreshingly different. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, Gerry... Others might not find this appealing but definitely not me! I love seeing food like these that are so old school, authentic and especially with a more regional approach. My interest has really been piqued by Filipino cuisine for quite sometime and I sense that growing stronger after reading your blog. Something about the people, culture and especially the food. Thanks for sharing this with us! I do hope I get the chance to try this one day. Will ask my other Filipino friends if they've tried the Burong Hipon before cause I know they're from a different region. Good stuff, matey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Winston, thanks buddy! I'll be posting more local stuff soon. Thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  3. LOL.. turn on the fans and blowers. Well.. I have to say you must really love it then. :) Looks very interesting and I would certainly try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramona, definitely worth trying at least once, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Got something to share? I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...