Thursday, May 24, 2012

What's in the Fridge...Mountain Maid Ube Jam

Found a small bottle at the far end of the fridge...and just in time too. Nearing its expiry date, can't let this go to waste. Made from purple yam, a local root crop, Mountain Maid's Ube Jam is perfect for a quick sugar fix.


No trip to Baguio is complete without bringing home some Mountain Maid products. Produced and bottled by the nuns of the Good Shepherd Convent, Mountain Maid Ube Jam is just one of the products from the convent which include fruit preserves and jams (check out my previous post on Mountain Maid's popular Strawberry Jam at http://dude4food.blogspot.com/2012/02/whats-in-pantrymountain-maid-strawberry.html).




Rich, creamy and sweet, this local delicacy has a smooth texture, a unique sweet treat like no other. And the natural purple color just adds to the uniqueness of this dessert.


And the best thing about Mountain Maid products, part of the proceeds go to the convent's various charity and community projects, including scholarships. Nice.


Cheers to the good nuns of Good Shepherd Convent, and to more scholarships and sweet treats.

Dude for Food is now on Facebook, check out the FB Page for regular updates on good eats. Better yet, click "Like" and enjoy the ride...just look for the FB "Like" widget on the right sidebar. 

15 comments:

  1. It's timely that you've posted this! :D My mom will be going to Baguio next week and I just asked her to bring me some Mountain Maid products.. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a few jars of Mountain Maid, here's to your mom's safe trip to Baguio and for more Mountain Maid treats!

      Delete
  2. I love Ube! I live now in the U.S. but was born in Baguio and whenever my family and I go back to visit we make sure to bring a lot of it here with us. We finish the jars so quickly hehe and we also give some as gifts. Love your blog! Following now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, ube rocks! Thanks for visiting, and for following too! Looking forward to sharing more posts with you!

      Delete
  3. jam looks very delicious...loved the color !!

    http://www.onlyfishrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonali, thanks, the colors are pretty cool, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I like purple yam but didn't know that you can also turn it into jam. Looks delicious! I wonder what the texture is like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ducky, it has a soft and smooth texture, something different. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I need to find Ube, it does sound delicious! My blogger friend made cookies with it, and they looked sooooooo good:-) Take care, Terra
    www.cafeterrablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra, those cookies sound delicious! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Wow. I love that they donate some of their proceeds to charity. That just makes me want to buy this more. And YUM. At first I was like "what thuh..." then I realised it was yam. I love yam!! And I'm sure I'd enjoy these. Again, you really are capturing my heart and interest with your posts on Filipino food/snacks. I do hope I get to visit one day. And if I do, I'd love to explore the more rural and village areas. Still not sure how I feel about Balut but when the time comes... I'll let you know lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Winston, yup, the charity component makes this treat extra sweet, and I wish the good nuns of Good Shepherd more success. And about Balut, well, I'll have to admit that it might take a couple of beers before I down one! Great to hear from you buddy!

      Delete
  7. I was an intern I what then was called Pellittier hills school and I did learn ed on how to make jams and cookies in the cottage, that's how we call it then . Under the eagle eye of Mother Mary of our Lady of Mount Carmel. She always make sure all fruits are wash and hulled properly before it is measured for cooking. Also when still there was taught on rosary making and molding to make statues. I miss those days when I was still there. I think I had my most fun while I was there. I still remember all including the singing lessons and guitar playing with our group. My convent name then was (Cora). Alice N. Solorio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Place the present store now, that was the place where the log cabin was wherein interns dorm was. Always look forward to what we'll have for our meals cause it has always been a surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to share? I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...